fundaments and variants
Generative audiovisual installation for virtual ensemble
2 Channel installation, where infinite variations of the material are played back based on the 12 programmed algorithms, which are being constantly updated.
The algorithms have the following names: Emptying - Pitching - Pulsing - Soloing -Flattening - Noising - Coupling - Placing - Dislocating - Oscillating - Gating - Spiking. They refer to how the algorithm navigates through various data-sets of the audio material.
The text that appears as intertitles is from Fundamentals of Musical Composition (1967) by Arnold Schoenberg, where a random line from the book is always paired with an AI generated answer to it.
The original videos were recorded one instrument at a time in the Arnold Schoenbergzaal, of the Royal Conservatory Den Haag. This was the last recording made there before the building closed.
It is in some way an homage to the history of this concert hall, and to the composer who it is named after.
- Concept and Composition: Yannis Kyriakides
- Creative Coding: Darien Brito
- Video Recording: Sergio Gridelli
- Sound Recording: Doris Veldman
- Lighting and Green Screen: Mikka Körner
- 3D Modelling advisor: Anna Chocholi
- Production: Erika Bordon
- Alban Wesly (Bassoon)
- Chloë Abbott (Trumpet)
- Dario Calderone (Double bass)
- Gareth Davis (Bass Clarinet)
- Irene Ruiperez Canales (Flute)
- Joe Puglia (Violin)
- Joost Buis (Trombone)
- Marianna Soroka (Percussion)
- Michela Amici (Harp)
- Nina Hitz (Cello)
- Reinier van Houdt (Piano)
- Wiek Hijmans (Guitar)