Piano, electronics [60′]
The Music of La Mode is conceived in four parts:
- Nocturnal [10′]
- Tomoko’s Uniform [15′]
- Dress Code [15′]
- Catwalk [20′]
A collection of pieces written for piano and electronics for the performance-installation work La Mode.
la mode is a performance-installation conceived by Tomoko Mukaiyama for ten dancers, a pianist and an architectural installation. It deals with the social codes, self-expression and desire around the fashion industry. The performance will open the Metropolitan opera house in Taichung city, Taiwan, designed by Japanese architecture firm Toyo Ito + Associates.
- Concept + artistic direction: Tomoko Mukaiyama
- Music: Yannis Kyriakides
- Choreography: Dunja Jocic
- Performers: Tomoko Mukaiyama (piano), Spellbound Contemporary Ballet, Sarah Murphy (dance)
- Costumes: Slavna Martinovic
- Set design: Toyo Ito + Associates, Architects + Yoko Ando
- Light artist: Tanja Ruehl
- Technical director: Yutaka Endo / LUFTZUG
- Co-producers: Spellbound Contemporary Ballet (Italy), National Taichung Theater (Taiwan)
- Associated co-producers: Dance New Air (Japan)
- Partners: Transart Festival (Italy)
The European premiere of la mode is scheduled for September 8 2016 in Bolzano for the Transart Festival. The world premiere, scheduled for 1st and 2nd October, will correspond with the Official Opening of the National Taichung Theater. After the opening in Taichung, la mode will pursue its tour to Tokyo’s Dance New Air Festival and will be performed 4 times from 8 to 10 October.