Violin, politiki lyra, viola da gamba, contrabass, theorbo, zarb, semantron, myo controlled computer voices[15′]
Commisioned by Ensemble Resonanz for the “Isles and Rivers” project.
- Sokratis Sinopoulos - lyra
- Keyvan Chemirani - zarb, percussion
- Bijan Chemirani - zarb, saz, percussion
- David-Maria Gramse - violin, répétitions
- Rebecca Beyer - violin
- Liam Byrne - viole de gambe
- Kit Scotney - contrebasse
- Andreas Arend - théorbe
- Yannis Kyriakides - live electronics
- Elisa Erkelenz - dramaturgie
Première at Rainy Days Festival, Luxembourg, 22 november 2020.
The electronics is based on a rhythmic disintegration of words and voices, which provides a framework for a pulse driven composition where the musicians from diverse traditions enter into a interlocking network of evolving phrases.
The piece takes inspiration from one of the few remaining sayings attributed to the Pre-Socratic philosopher Metrodorus of Chios:
None of us knows anything, not even whether we know or do not know, nor do we know whether not knowing and knowing exist, nor in general whether there is anything or not.